- 1 How to Show Hidden Files on MAC?
- 2 Show Hidden Files on MAC using Keyboard Shortcut
- 3 How to Show Hidden Files on MAC Using Terminal
- 4 How to Show Hidden Files on Mac Using FInder?
- 5 Unhide Files on MacOS Catalina, Mojave, Etc (Video)
- 6 Conclusion
Believe it or not, there are lots of files and folders which the MacOS X doesn’t want you to see. Most of the times, these are system files, but sometimes there may be some files which can lead to dangerous malware and virus. These infected files can cause something bad on your computer and if it happened, then you may lose your important data. So, what would you do to protect yourself? Do you want to know how to show hidden files on macOS Catalina, Mojave, Sierra, Etc?
How to Show Hidden Files on MAC?
All you have to do is simply use the steps we have provided in this guide. But, before that, let’s understand which files are hidden and why these files are hidden?
Which Files are Hidden on the Mac?
The hidden files end with an extension a. and they won’t show up in your normal files. For instance, the files may be a .htaccess or a .svg directory. Also, there may be some folders like /usr, /bin, and /etc.
The Folder which almost every Mac user wants to access is the Library folder. It’s because all of our personal information is stored there and in some cases, data is also stored.
Also Read:- MAC Print Screen | How to Screenshot on Mac
Why MacOS X Hides Some Files From Users?
Some files and folders are considered to be dangerous for users and to protect their users from any damage, Mac hides these folders from their users. You may be eager to know about those hidden folders, but before doing anything, just keep in mind that these folders can cause damage to your system.
So, we recommend you to backup all your data before doing anything with these hidden files. Also, never try anything before having proper knowledge about the task which you are going to perform.
Show Hidden Files on MAC using Keyboard Shortcut
The very easy way to unhide files on your MAC is a shortcut of the keyboard. You just have to press a combination of 3 keys at the same time. Press Command + Shift + . at the same time. And then you can see all your hidden files in your MacOS Catalina, Mojave, Etc. Again press the same keyboard shortcut to hide the files.
How to Show Hidden Files on MAC Using Terminal
- First of all, open Terminal in MAC (LaunchPad > Other Folder > Terminal).
You can also open Terminal on MAC by pressing Command + Space, and then type Terminal and press Enter/Return.
- Now type the below-given command in Terminal.
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
- After that press Enter/ Return key on your MAC.
- That’s all, Now you can see all your hidden files in MAC.
- If you want to undo this thing (hide hidden files) then type the below-given command in Terminal and hit Enter/ Return.
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
How to Show Hidden Files on Mac Using FInder?
The process is so simple that even a casual user can see those hidden files and folder using the steps we have provided below:
- Open the Finder.
- Press and Hold down the Alt key and select the “GO” option from the drop-down list.
- After that, you will see the Library option, just click on that.
- Now you can see all the hidden files of ~/Library.
Alternatively, you can follow the steps given below:
- Open the Finder.
- Then, select the “Go” option located in the menu bar.
- Choose Go to Folder and then type ~/Library and press OK.
Unhide Files on MacOS Catalina, Mojave, Etc (Video)
That’s it! Above are the steps which you can follow to show hidden files on Mac Catalina, Mojave, Etc. I hope this post helped you to get what you were looking for. If you found this helpful, then share it with your friends who are also looking for the same information. Also, if you have any questions or queries regarding this post, then let me know in the comment section below.