Today In this Post, We will discuss the process to create bootable USB drive manually with the help of command prompt as windows default program. But Before this, Just keep in mind that you must have at least 4 GB minimum space. There are various methods to create a bootable USB, But We will discuss the most common method which requires no use of any kind of software. So, Here are the Steps to Create a bootable USB manually without using any kind of software or tool:-
If you want to make your USB drive bootable by using any software, then i also posted a guide on How to Burn ISO to USB in Windows 10, Win 7,8.
Step 1. Using DiskPart Command
- First of all, You have to insert USB flash drive to your computer.
- After that, You have to search for Diskpart and Run it as admin.
- Wait until the Diskpart program opens.
- Now, Just type “list disk” in order to view the active tasks on your computer. After that, you will see that the active disks shown as Disk 0 for the hard drive and Disk 1 for the USB flash drive.
- Then, Type “Select Disk 1” (your USB drive) and hit the enter button.
- After that, Type “Clean” and hit the enter button to clean all the data stored on the drive.
- Type “Create Partition Primary” to create a primary partition and furthermore to recognized by the windows as Partition 1.
- Now, Just Type “Select Partition 1” in order to run it as an active partition.
- Then, Just type “active” and hit the enter button. This will activate the current partition.
- After that, Just Type format fs=ntfs quick and then hit the enter button. This will format the current partition as NTFS file system quickly.
- Type “Exit” and hit the enter button to leave the Diskpart, But don’t close the command prompt because we would still need it for the next step.
Also Read:- How to Solve HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
Step 2. Copy The ISO File to Your USB Drive
- Go to the folder, where your downloaded ISO file.
- Right-click on the ISO file and click on Mount.
- Select all files and right click then tap on copy option.
- Now go to your USB drive and paste all files.
- After that, follow Step 3.
Also Read:- How to Fix USB Device Not Recognized Error
Step 3. Creating Boot Sector
Let us assume that the USB flash drive is the D Drive and the DVD installer is located on the Drive F. So, The first step is to navigate the command prompt in order to set DVD installation as its active directory.
- By default, The Command Prompt’s active directory for the Administrator Permission is on C:\Windows\System32>. So, Before Starting the Process, Just type “D:” (your USB drive) and enter the hit button. This will change the active directory to Drive D.
- Now, Just type “CD Boot” and hit the enter button to change the active directory to D:\boot>.
- After that, Just type “bootsect /nt60 D:” to create a boot sector on D: drive (USB Flash Drive).
- Now, Just type “exit” and hit the enter button to close the command prompt. Now, The flash drive is ready to use as a boot media.
3. Copying Installation Process
In order to install windows from a bootable USB drive, You just need to copy the whole installations files stored on the DVD installer to flash drive. For that purpose, Just open the command prompt as admin and type ‘xcopy f: \ *. * d: \ / E / H / F‘ in order to copy all the files in the DVD installer to Flash drive. Now, Bootable USB drive is ready to be used and you’re done.
That’s it! Now, You have a clearer picture to create a Bootable USB drive without using any software. I hope this post helped you to get the required information you are looking for. If it helped you, then Just share this with your friends, family, and relatives. Also, If you have any doubts, then feel free to connect with us through the comment box.