Did your external device not showing up on your computer? If yes, then you’ve landed on the right page. In this ultimate guide, I am gonna show you the best possible solutions to tackle this problem. The external hard drive not recognized problem happened due to several reasons, but it most likely to happen because of the driver software is outdated or broken. So, without wasting any more time, let’s move to the guide to fix external hard drive not showing up.
1. Fix External Hard Drive Not Showing Up By Using Troubleshooter
If you had facing external hard drive not showing up issue first time, then this might be due to your configuration settings. If you want to check whether it has been occurred due to the configuration settings or not, just follow the steps given below:
- Go to the windows search box and type “Troubleshooting” there and click on Troubleshooting.
- This will open the Windows troubleshooter. Once it opens, you just have to click on “Configure a device” option.
- In the pop-up screen, just click on “Next” button and then follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
Also Read:- How to Fix Windows 10 Memory Leak Problem
2. Fix External Hard Drive Not Recognized By Update the Drive Manually
In this method, we will try to solve the external hard drive not recognized using the run command. Here are the steps which you need to follow in order to resolve the issue.
- Firstly, Press both the Win + R keys at the same time to open the run command. Once it opens, just enter “devmgmt.msc” in the search bar and click the OK button.
- After that, select your external device from the list and if there’s any yellow/red sign, then your driver software has compatibility issues.
- Now, you need to right-click on the name of your external device and then choose “Update Driver Software” from the available options.
- After that, just click on the “Search automatically for Updated driver software” button and then follow the on-screen instructions to update your driver software.
Still facing the same issue? Then, don’t worry, just try our next method to solve the problem.
3. Check Whether the External Device Shows Up in Disk Management or Not?
In this method. we will check whether your computer shows up the external device or not? It is the last method in this post to fix external hard drive not recognized. Here are the steps which you can follow to check your external device status:
- Firstly, plug your external device into your computer.
- After that, just press Win+R keys all together to open the Run command. Once it opens, just enter “diskmgmt.msc” and click on the OK button.
- Now, the Disk Management window will open and you have to check your external device name there. If it shows up there, then you don’t need to worry about the problem.
- If it doesn’t show up, then this might be due to some kind of hardware issues. We recommend you to visit a technician’s shop to get some help regarding the issue.
So, Above are the best possible solutions which you can try when the external hard drive not showing up. We hope this post helped you to get required information that you are looking for. If you found this post helpful, then don’t forget to share it with your friends, family, and colleagues. Also, if you have any queries regarding this post, then feel free to share them with us in the comment section below. We would like to answer them as soon as possible.