Do you carry personal and sensitive information on a USB drive and want to encrypt it? Then, you’ve landed on the right page. In this ultimate guide, I am gonna show a complete guide on how to encrypt USB drive to secure your data and files. If you are really concerned about your privacy and your USB drive contains sensitive information, then you must password protect your drive.
How to Securely Encrypt a USB Flash Drive
There are a couple of ways to do that, but we are listing only the best one. So, why we are waiting, let’s start exploring those ways to do flash drive encryption.
Also Read:- 10 Best Encryption Software For Windows 10
1. How to Encrypt a Flash Drive Using the BitLocker
BitLocker is a software which is primarily made to secure your USB drives. With the help of BitLocker, you can encrypt all your confidential data. It works very simply and so easy to use that even a casual user can use it. In order to get started with it, follow the steps listed below:
- Firstly, connect your USB drive to your computer.
- Once it’s connected, right-click on it and then select the “Turn on BitLocker” option.
- Now, a pop-up will appear on your screen. In the pop-up, you have to select how you want to unlock the drive whenever it’s needed.
- After choosing the preferred option, click on “Next” and then you have to select how you want to reset your password in case the password is lost.
- After selecting, click “Next” and then On the next screen, select how much drive you want to encrypt and click on “Next” option.
- Lastly, you have to select the “Encryption Mode” and click on the “Next” button. And then click Start Encrypting.
That’s it! You have successfully encrypted your USB drive using the BitLocker.
Also Read:- Best Identity Theft Protection Services
2. How to Encrypt a Flash Drive Using the VeraCrypt
There are hundreds of encryption software available which claims that they are 100% safe and secure, but no official audit has been made to ensure this statement. So, how will you trust all those kinds of software? Fortunately, VeraCrypt is not like them. It is only software which has been officially audited and passed the statement under the supervision of security officials. So, there’s no doubt whenever you are using it and you don’t need to worry about any vulnerabilities then. To get started with VeraCrypt, here’s the complete guide:
- Click here to download and install the VeraCrypt software on your computer.
- Once you have installed it, just launch it and then you will see a lot of drive names and buttons on the screen.
- Click on the “Create Volume” button and then a pop-up window will be opened on your screen.
- In the pop-up window, you have to select “Create an encrypted file container” option and click on Next.
- On the next screen, select “Standard VeraCrypt Volume” and click on Next.
- In the next window, you have to select your “Removable disk” and then click on Next button.
- After that, you have to select the encryption algorithm. If you have no idea about it, just leave the option as it is and click on the Next button.
- On the next screen, enter the outer volume password and then click on the Next button.
- Now, you have to select whether you want to support large files or not and once you have selected that, just click on Next.
- In the next window, you have to open the outer volume and then copy your entire data to the outer volume.
- Once you are done with it, you have to start the process for hidden volume.
- Here you have to select encryption type, size of the hidden volume and then give the hidden volume a password. Now, click on Format and you are done with it.
That’s it! Above are the best possible solution which you can to encrypt a USB drive. I hope you found this article helpful. If this article helped you, then don’t forget to share it with your friends, family, and relatives who are still facing the same issue. Also, if you have any queries or questions to ask, then let me know in the comment section below so that I can help you out.